Many individuals have no idea how to pour Absinthe correctly and no, it isn’t really quite as simple as taking out the lid, pouring it into a glass and drinking it! Absinthe should be served diluted with iced water and sweetened slightly with sugar http://makingcarbonatedwater.com. This process is called “The Ritual” or “La Louche” and is the way in which Absinthe was geared up in its heyday in the 19th century and early twentieth century.
The Ritual isn’t so much a recipe as a method to follow. Here are instructions on how to pour the perfect Green Fairy each time:-
– Absinthe – Work with a quality Absinthe that contains wormwood. There are several fake Absinthes around with virtually no thujone and so no wormwood.
– An Absinthe glass – This could cause measuring the Absinthe very easy because you fill the bulge at the bottom or rise to the mark, depending on what style glass you’ve got.
– A slotted Absinthe spoon (cuillere)
– Cold water
– A cube of white sugar
In making your Absinthe drink you have to pour a shot of Absinthe in the glass and rest the spoon on the rim of the glass.Position the cube of sugar on the spoon and carefully drip water over the sugar to make it dissolve into the Absinthe. Top-up the Absinthe to taste, normally a ratio which can be between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe.
If you use a stable hand and drip the water bit by bit, you’ll be able to look at the Absinthe louche as it turns from a see-through bright green to an opalescent, pale, milky green. This is certainly fascinating to watch.
Some Absinthe drinkers buy a special Absinthe fountain which you fill with water and ice cubes and then turn a tap to control the dripping of the water to the Absinthe – great if you are heavy handed. A fountain also lets you make two drinks while doing so because quite a few fountains have two taps.
Reproductions of antique Absinthe spoons and glasses could be ordered online from AbsintheKit.com. The company also sell Absinthe essences on their own webshop. You blend an essence with vodka or everclear to make your personal real wormwood Absinthe.
The Czech or Bohemian strategy differs slightly from the Ritual and isn’t a standard technique for preparing Absinthe. To create Absinthe in this way you have to:-
– Pour a shot of Absinthe in to a glass then dip the cube of sugar into the alcohol.
– Place the cube of sugar onto the Absinthe spoon.
– Employing a match or lighter, set the sugar alight.
– View the sugar caramelize and melt throughout the slots of the spoon and on the Absinthe.
– Thoroughly pour iced water into the Absinthe to dilute.
– Stir and enjoy.
Absinthe can also be blended with other alcohol in cocktails. Use the internet for Absinthe cocktail recipes more about the author. Ernest Hemingway drank “Death in the Afternoon” – Absinthe mixed with champagne!
There you are, how to pour Absinthe while using the Ritual and the more sophisticated Bohemian method. Take them into consideration and have fun with Absinthe.