Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled commercial Absinthe in early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, utilized a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and nutmeg absinthe. Wine is the standard base for Absinthe but a majority of distillers use other sorts of alcohol.
If you look for Absinthe recipes online, you will notice that most of them include steeping blends of herbs in liquor just like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How would you Produce Absinthe at home?
However some recipes on the web are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor with no license is against the law in lots of countries and also you require the right equipment and you also have to know what you’re doing. So, are there any other ways of making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This generally involves steeping herbs like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a few days or possibly a few weeks within the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Exclusively distillation will give you a real Absinthe, this will just give you an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe Kit – Many of the kits available on the web, just like the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They are easier than obtaining and preparing your own herbs but you’re merely steeping the herbs in vodka again and making a flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much easier and much better way to make Absinthe in your own home. AbsintheKit.com create essences for the Absinthe industry and also the essences are produced by distilling classic Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is done for you and all you need to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a real Absinthe drink.
The essences can be found in four different kinds:-
– Classic Green Essence to create a traditional “verte” Absinthe with a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to create a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This too has a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to create Absinthe with a twist. This essence could make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe which has a natural orange flavor and also a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence can make an Absinthe with a higher thujone content (55mg) and also a more bitter wormwood taste.
You can either obtain a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to produce one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or obtain a kit for $29 to create 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic gauge and 14 artistic bottle labels. All you have to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Bare in mind that the alcohol content of your Absinthe is determined by your alcohol base. Be mindful, drink Absinthe moderately because it’s a significantly more powerful beverage than other spirits and fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or a neutral alcohol which lacks a strong taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.